Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte is calling on all Filipinos to help out in the aftermath of Typhoon Phanfone, in which more than 100,000 people are still without power.
“If there is anybody who can help, let’s help them.
Let’s help,” Mr Duterte told a crowd in Manila on Sunday night.
His remarks come as more than 3,000 Filipino workers were evacuated from factories in southern Manila after Typhoon Phaenong hit the country on Saturday, killing more than 8,500 people.
A massive storm system was moving through the country at the time, with a storm surge of at least 20m, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction Council (NDRRCC).
On Sunday night, Mr Duterte also appealed to Filipinos “to help each other” in the wake of the typhoon, and to use “whatever means are necessary” to help people who are trapped in their homes and businesses.
“Help us, help our families,” he said, urging Filipino citizens to “make sure that all the Filipinos are not left without help”.
“Let’s help each others.”
A Philippine government official said Mr Duterte has asked for aid to be distributed to affected areas in southern Philippines, which were already suffering from Typhoon Phaanong.
The President said that, according the latest figures, more than 5.5 million people have been affected by the typhoons in the Philippines, but he said the figure is likely to be higher as it is a reflection of how much the country has lost from the previous storms.
Mr Duterte has urged Filipino people to “rise above” the crisis, and urged them to stay away from factories and other industries and instead “do what is right” by building homes and other infrastructure.
More than a million people are believed to have been forced to flee their homes during the storm, with more than 200,000 families living without power in Manila and nearby cities.
On Saturday, Mr Trump also appealed for help to help the Philippines “recover”, adding that the US was “with you”.
“We are here for you, we are with you, and we are going to help you, Mr President,” he told a rally in Las Vegas on Saturday.
In the Philippines on Sunday, President Duterte also ordered that “everything must be done to restore” the country to normalcy.
President Rodrigo Duterte delivers a speech to the nation in Manila, Philippines on Saturday night (AP: Laila Harb) “The Philippines is on the brink of a disaster and it is time to rebuild,” he added.
Despite the calls for assistance from Mr Trump, there have been no official reports of any US aid for the Philippines.
However, a US official said the White House had offered to provide $15bn in assistance to help rebuild.
According to Reuters, Mr Phan Fone is expected to hit the Philippines from the north early next week, making it the fourth typhoon to hit this part of the Pacific Ocean in the past two years.
Last month, Typhoon Phaneefone hit the Philippine archipelago, killing hundreds of people.